Tarkington Hall History

When Tarkington Hall opened in 1958, it was known as "H-2". It is divided into four living units: Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, and Southwest. The name was eventually changed to Tarkington Hall in memory of Newton Booth Tarkington, a generous contributor to Purdue University.

Booth Tarkington was born on July 29, 1869, in Indianapolis. As a young person, he held a desire to be an artist, painter, or illustrator. He graduated from Exeter Academy Prep School in New Hampshire in 1889, and then attended Purdue. From there, he went on to Princeton University and graduated in the class of 1893. He wrote numerous novels and more than a score of plays. He received a Pulitzer Prize in 1919 and 1922. Financially, he donated numerous gifts to Purdue. He was a world traveler, and lived briefly in New York, Paris, Rome, and the Island of Capri. He died in Indianapolis on May 19, 1946.

The District of Tradition Neighborhood

The District of Tradition is the name of the neighborhood for the grouping of residence halls dedicating to building and maintaining strong, healthy, lasting traditions. With a goal to develop a strong brand and pride in the halls, the District of Tradition sees some of the most dedicated and connected RAs on campus, boasting some of the highest rates of return for residents to the building at Purdue. Many seniors graduate from the buildings in the District of Tradition and the professional staff are dedicated to empowering students to be some of the best, brightest and self-driven leaders in the world. With a high energy, strong sense of dedication and incredible feelings of pride, the District of Tradition is happy to welcome you to the neighborhood!