History of Windsor

Windsor is the oldest women's residence at Purdue consisting of five individual buildings that were built over a period of about 20 years. Duhme Hall (originally South Hall) was opened in 1934, Shealy (North Hall) - 1937, Wood - 1939, Warren (D Hall) and Vawter (E Hall) were both opened in 1951. Windsor currently houses 748 women. Tunnels that are accessible to the students connect all of our halls.

Windsor was designed so that nearly every room in each hall would receive sunlight sometime during the day. A unique feature of four out of the five halls is that they line up in a straight line. If one were to open the lobby doors in Duhme, Shealy, Warren, and Vawter, you would be able to shoot an arrow in a straight line through all of them.

Ophelia Duhme Hall was built through the thoughtful generosity of Mrs. Harriet C. Small of Cincinnati, Ohio. It was her desire to promote gracious and purposeful living. Frances M. Shealy Hall was named for one of the three Shealy sisters. The three sisters pledged that the last of the three survivors would give all of their worldly possessions to a university in Indiana for the use of female students. Warren Hall was named for Martha E. Warren and partially funded by her. This Hall was dedicated to the enrichment of student life experiences for the young women attending Purdue University. Vawter Hall was named in recognition of a gift from Wallace and Helen Vawter for Everette B. Vawter, who was a pioneer citizen, friend, and effective public servant of West Lafayette. Will Wood named Wood Hall for Elizabeth Wood, in tribute to his wife. Some of Windsor's history includes famous residents such as Amelia Earhart Putnam, Dr. Lillian Gilbreth, and Janice Voss Ford.

WRH Crest and Motto

You can see there is much to learn about Windsor Halls. It has been and continues to be the students who make Windsor the residence that it is. Our WRH crest best exemplifies this. It is the shield, representing protection, with six symbols on it and the WRH motto. The crest bears a woman at the top, a symbol of the halls with leaves around her to represent friendship. A torch for education; an owl for wisdom; an olive branch for peace, a diamond for joy; and three faces at the base representing three types of women the scholar and the party woman, being extremes and the "ideal woman" in the center representing a combination of the two. Windsor's motto, encircling the symbols states: "Together we live, together we learn.